Horrifying footage captures the moment a truck ploughs into screaming crowd in Nice after heroic motorcyclist throws himself on the vehicle and police officers open fire
This is the horrifying moment a lorry mows through a crowd of terrified pedestrians watching fireworks on Bastille Day in a terrorist attack that has killed at least 77 people. The footage shows the huge truck hurtling through scores of pedestrians on Nice’s Promenade du Paillon. In one astonishing angle a motorcyclist is seen desperately trying to stop the lorry, jumping off his bike as police officers fire at the terrorist inside.
Pro-ISIS groups CELEBRATE French massacre with #Nice_Attack on secure messaging app Telegram as bodies still lie in the street
Scores of Bastille Day revellers were mown down by a truck after gathering to watch a fireworks display in the French city of Nice. Pro-ISIS groups have begun celebrating the attack with images.
‘Bodies are lying everywhere, gunmen are targeting hotels, nobody knows what to do – except hide’: Eyewitnesses describe horrific scenes
An eyewitness said he saw the lorry driver slam the vehicle into a crowd of Bastille Day revellers in the French resort city of Nice and then emerge shooting, killing even more bystanders.
Parisians panic as technical fault with Bastille Day fireworks sends thick plumes of smoke up Eiffel Tower
Videos from the capital showed plumes of thick black smoke rising from the base of the world famous landmark at the same time as the horror attack in Nice was unfolding.
TIMELINE OF TERROR: WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT NICE AND PREVIOUS ATTACKS IN THE PAST YEAR
NICE: WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR
French authorities confirmed that last night’s massacre was a terrorist atrocity.
At least 77 people have been killed after a truck slammed into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.
Here is what we know about what US President Barack Obama has said ‘appears to be a horrific terrorist attack’.
Several children are among the dead while a further 20 people are gravely injured.
How did the attack unfold?
The large white truck plunged into the crowd at around 11:00pm (2100 GMT) Thursday night as hundreds of people were on Nice’s beachfront Promenade des Anglais to watch the fireworks for France’s national day.
Local deputy mayor Christian Estrosi said at least 77 people were killed after the truck ploughed two kilometres (1.3 miles) through the crowd.
Interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet denied reports that people had been taken hostage.
The attacker has been shot dead, the government said. He is yet to be identified.
Was this a jihadist attack?
The attack has not been claimed by any group, but prosecutors say the probe will be handled by anti-terrorism investigators.
‘Investigations are currently underway to establish if the individual acted alone or if he had accomplices who might have fled,’ Brandet said.
The attack comes with France under a state of emergency following the Islamic State attacks in Paris in November that left 130 people dead.
Has anything like this happened in France before?
In December 2014, two men ploughed their cars into pedestrians in two days – separate incidents that left France reeling.
The first driver shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (God is greatest) as he drove into people in the eastern city of Dijon, injuring 13.
The 40-year-old driver had a long history of mental illness, and no ties to jihadist groups, the government said.
A day later, a man rammed a white van into a Christmas market in the western city of Nantes, killing one person and injuring nine others. He then stabbed himself several times.
Prosecutors said a notebook was found in his vehicle in which he spoke of his ‘hatred for society’ and said he feared ‘being killed by secret agents’.
The man committed suicide in his prison cell in 2016 while awaiting trial.
What do we know about the suspect?
French police have confirmed they have found identity documents in the truck belonging to a French Tunisian man.
The identity documents belong to a 31-year-old man.
However, they have not yet identified the dead man who was shot dead by police at the scene.
Officers fired at least 40 rounds into the truck.
PREVIOUS TERRORIST ATTACKS OVER THE PAST 12 MONTHS
Istanbul June 29, 2016
Triple suicide bombing at city’s Ataturk airport
Three attackers arrived in a taxi and began firing at the terminal entrance. They blew themselves up after police fired back – with CCTV footage capturing the moment one wounded extremist detonated his explosive vest seconds after a hero officer tried to detain him
Death toll: 41 Injuries: 230
Orlando June 12, 2016
Mass shooting at gay nightclub Pulse
Lone gunman Omar Mateen – a 29-year-old American security guard – sprayed bullets across the dancefloor before taking hostages after entering the Florida nightclub in the middle of the night armed with an AR-15. He was shot and killed by Orlando police after a three-hour standoff
Death toll: 49 Injuries: 53
Brussels March 22, 2016
Nail bombings in Brussels Airport
Two suicide bombers carrying homemade bombs in large suitcases attacked a departure hall at Brussels Airport in Zaventem. They exploded nine seconds apart. Another explosion took place just over an hour later in the middle carriage of a three-carriage train at Maalbeek metro station
Death toll: 35 Injuries: 340
Istanbul January 12, 2016
Suicide bomber detonates in the city’s tourist-heavy historical centre
Nabil Fadli, a Syrian member of the Islamic State walked up to a tour group standing in Sultanahmet Square and blew himself up. Most of the victims were German but also came from Peru, South Korea and Norway
Death toll: 13 Injuries: 15
Paris November 13, 2015
Bombings and shootings in Bataclan and across the French capital
A series of coordinated attacks occurred at the national stadium during a football match between France and Germany, followed by suicide bombings and mass shootings at cafés, restaurants and a music venue in the centre of the city
Death toll: 137 Injuries: 368
Bomb brings down Russian jet over Egypt
Metrojet Flight 9268 comes down in Sinai. Shortly after the crash, the Islamic State Sinai Branch, previously known as Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, claimed responsibility for the incident
Death toll: 224
Tunisia June 26, 2015
Mass shooting at packed tourist beach
Attack occurred at Port El Kantaoui where hundreds of Brits were holidaying. Seifeddine Rezgui Yacoubi, disguised as a tourist, socialised with others, and then took out a Kalashnikov assault rifle concealed in a beach umbrella and fired at the tourists on the beach. He entered a hotel, shooting at people he came across
Death toll: 38 Injuries: 39
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3691019/Several-people-injured-truck-crashes-crowd-Bastille-Day-celebrations-Nice.html#ixzz4ERV1Z4v1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook