But don’t worry, they’ll have their social workers out in full force to take charge of everything…
This is all about power, political power, removing one of the last bastions of Republican support from society.
Minneapolis City Council unanimously votes to ABOLISH its police department and replace it with a community-led public safety system – while NYC leaders push plan to cut $1 BILLION from the NYPD budget
- The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously passed a resolution to replace the police department
- The council will pursue a community-led public safety system as a replacement
- Council members signing the resolution said reform of the police would not work and a full replacement of the current system was necessary
- ‘No amount of reforms will prevent lethal violence and abuse by some members of the Police Department against members of our community,’ it said
- The move comes days after a veto-proof majority of the council voted to disband the police department
- The decision follows weeks of protests over the death of George Floyd at the hands of the city’s police
The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously passed a resolution to replace the city’s police department with a community-led public safety system.
The move comes days after a veto-proof majority of the council voted to disband the police department after the country erupted in protest over the killing of George Floyd, a black man who died when a white police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.
The Minneapolis vote was cast as New York City Council pushed to cut $1billion from the NYPD’s budget.
The gigantic cut to the Big Apple police department’s $6billion annual budget could see a reduction in the size of the force from 36,000 to 33,000, while removing functions like school safety and homeless outreach from the police.