Islamists Attack Christmas, but Europeans Abolish It
by Giulio Meotti
- A statue of the Virgin Mary was ordered taken away by a court in the French municipality of Publier. Senator Nathalie Goulet slammed the judges as “ayatollahs of secularism”.
- A German school in Turkey just banned Christmas celebrations: the school, Istanbul Lisesi, funded by the German government, decided that Christmas traditions and carol-singing would no longer be allowed. A Woolworth’s store in Germany scrapped Christmas decorations telling customers that the shop “is now Muslim”.
- Europe is already mutilating her own traditions “to avoid offending Muslims”. We have become our own biggest enemy.
- Muslims are also reclaiming “the mosque of Cordoba”. Authorities in the southern Spanish city recently dealt a blow to the Catholic Church’s claim of ownership of the cathedral. Now Islamists want it back.
- The final result of Europe’s self-destructive secularism could seriously be a Caliphate.
“Everything is Christian”, Jean-Paul Sartre wrote after the war. Two thousand years of Christianity have left a deep mark on the French language, landscape and culture. But not according to France’s Minister of Education, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem. She just announced that instead of saying “Merry Christmas”, state officials should use “Happy Holidays” — clearly a deliberate intent to erase from discourse and the public space any reference to the Christian culture in which France is rooted.
Jean-François Chemain called it the “eradication of any Christian sign in the public landscape”. A year ago, the controversy was ignited in the French town of Ploermel, where a court decided that the statue of Pope John Paul II, erected in a square, had to be removed for violating “secularism”.