Fresh shooting broke out in eastern Paris on Friday, with reports that an armed man had taken a hostage at a kosher grocery store, a source told AFP.
The gunman was suspected of being the same man who killed a policewoman in southern Paris on Thursday, who is thought to have links to the assailants who stormed satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday.
UPDATE: 2 people reported dead at the kosher shop. Kosher store jihadi is dead
— IBTimes UK (@IBTimesUK) January 9, 2015
UPDATE II: 1815: explosions and gunfire ring out. some sources saying the brothers are dead, and the kosher store hostages are safe. All three jihadis are dead.
WATCH LIVE: Gunman takes hostage at a kosher grocery store in Paris
A major operation is taking place in a city north-east of Paris.
- There have been fresh reports of another shooting in eastern Paris just after noon today, according to AFP sources. France 24 reports there is a hostage situation underway at a kosher store in the city. An armed man has taken an hostage and there are suspicions that he is the same person who killed a policewoman yesterday. One person has been injured.
- Major police operation underway to ‘neutralise’ the Charlie Hebdo suspects in Danmartin-en-Goele, northeast of Paris.
- The two men are reported to be holed up in a small printing company in an industrial estate.
- One person has been taken hostage by the suspects.
- Police have made contact.
- Shots were fired during a car chase earlier this morning as the suspects tried to flee police.
- Prosecutors have denied that anyone has been injured, following reports that one person had been killed.
- Local residents and schools told to stay indoors.
- Police have identified the suspect in a separate shooting of a police officer yesterday; say two attacks are linked.