New mosque ban in Padua after Paris attacks
Massimo Bitonci, a Northern League member who earlier this year said crucifixes must be hung on the walls of all schools and offices across the Veneto city, said in a tweet on Friday: “No to new mosques”.
The Local | 9 Jan 2015, 15:54
The mayor of Padua has said that no more permits will be granted for the construction of mosques in the northern Italian city in the wake of the shooting at the offices of Charlie Hebdo, the satirical magazine, in Paris on Wednesday.
The mayor was quoted in Corriere as saying that unlike in the past, “the council will not grant any more public space for the construction of mosques and Islamic places of worship.”
He added that controls on private establishments used for worship will also be tightened.
In a sign of solidarity with France over the shooting, in which 12 people died, a French flag has been hung outside the town hall.
There has been an anti-Muslim backlash in parts of Europe in the wake of the attacks in Paris.
A Swedish politician was reported to police on Friday after he wrote “the religion of peace shows its face” on his Facebook page, while a survey in Germany showed that a growing majority of Germans felt threatened by Islam.