The evils of Islam casts its long shadow.
‘My daughter may never walk properly’: Sudanese mother sentenced to hang for converting to Christianity reveals doctors’ fears for the baby she gave birth to while in chains
- Sudanese mum Mariam Ibrahim was sentenced to death for being Christian
- She gave birth to a daughter, Maya, while her legs were shackled
- Ibrahim, 27, described how she couldn’t open her legs properly to give birth
- She said that ‘something has happened to the baby’ and fears for its health
- Ibrahim was detained last week after trying to leave the country for the US
A Sudanese woman who was recently spared the death penalty for converting to Christianity said she fears the baby she gave birth to while in chains may not be able to walk properly.
Mariam Yahya Ibrahim, 27, gave birth to daughter Maya with her legs shackled and now doctors say she may need support to walk when she’s older.
Ibrahim, who was freed after an international outcry, said that ‘something has happened to the baby’.
Fears: Mariam Yahya Ibrahim says the baby she gave birth to in prison in Sudan may never walk properly. Pictured on the left is her 18-month-old boy Martin