Something to ponder…….
EDWARD LUCAS: I hope I’m wrong but historians may look back and say this was the start of World War III
- ‘Vladimir Putin is striking at the heart of the West’
- ‘We can chose to surrender any responsibility we have to protect Ukraine and the Baltic states’
- ‘Or we can mount a last-ditch attempt to deter Russia from furthering its imperial ambitions’
- ‘If we choose to resist Putin, we will risk a terrifying miltary escalation’
- ‘I do not think it an exaggeration to say this could bring us to the brink of nuclear war‘
Deep in the flat and featureless landscape of eastern Ukraine, it is all too possible that the outline of World War III is taking shape.
Whipped up by the Kremlin propaganda machine and led by Russian military intelligence, armed men are erecting road blocks, storming police stations and ripping down the country’s flag.
They are demolishing not just their own country — bankrupt, ill-run and beleaguered — but also the post-war order that has kept most of Europe and us, here in Britain, safe and free for decades.
Vladimir Putin is striking at the heart of the West.
A Ukrainian military convoy traveling towards the eastern Ukrainian town of Slovyansk where Russian nationalists have seized the regional administration building
His target is our inability to work with allies in defence against common threats. The profoundly depressing fact is that the events of the past few months, as Russia has annexed the Crimea and suppressed opposition in Ukraine, have shown the West to be divided, humiliated and powerless in the face of these land grabs.
We are soon to face a bleak choice. We can chose to surrender any responsibility we have to protect Ukraine and the Baltic states — almost certainly Putin’s next target — from further Russian incursion. Or we can mount a last-ditch attempt to deter Russia from furthering its imperial ambitions.