Jihad in action.
Kenya orders refugees back into camps after church attack
Kenya has restricted all refugees on its soil to two designated camps in the wake of a weekend attack on a church near Mombasa that claimed six lives.
Kenyans were asked to report any refugees or illegal immigrants outside the overcrowded camps Dadaab in the east and Kakuma in the northwest to the police.
“Any refugee found flouting this directive will be dealt with in accordance with the law,” Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said in a statement.
The minister’s directive came after Sunday’s attack in the Likoni district near Mombasa. There had been heightened warnings of a threat of Islamist violence in Kenya.
The latest attack in Kenya came just days after police arrested two men with a vehicle stashed full of large quantities of powerful explosives prepared in pipe bombs. Experts said the improvised explosives would have been strong enough to bring down a major building and cause massive civilian casualties.
Ole Lenku said 500 extra police would be deployed in the capital Nairobi as well as Mombasa, Kenya’s second city. Refugee registration centers in main cities will be closed, the statement said.