‘We blindfold her and cut three times. They can’t scream – other girls would think badly of them’: Mother and daughter ‘cutters’ who carry out genital mutilation reveal cruel insight to their trade
Journalist Nima Elbagir speaks with two women known in Nairobi, Kenya, who carry out FGM on young girls
- Two women in Kenya have described the brutal and illegal FGM procedure
- Known as ‘cutters’, the women regularly perform the ritual on young girls
- Victims are pinned down and blindfolded during the horrific FGM ordeal
- Ethanol is then used to clean the wound every day for the following month
- British girls are flown to Africa in summer holidays during ‘cutting season’
Two women known as ‘cutters’ have described how girls are pinned down and blindfolded while being cut with a razor blade during gruesome FGM procedures in the backstreets of Kenya.
CNN’s Nima Elbagir gained exclusive access to a mother and daughter known as ‘cutters’ in Nairobi, Kenya, where the practice of female genital mutilation remains commonplace.
It is here that many British girls with links to the African country are taken during their school holidays in order to undergo the brutal and barbaric procedure.
Read more: H/T: Buck