Not spontaneous, but orchestrated…
Violence breaks out on West Bank as Hamas calls for an uprising and Turkey warns Trump has ‘pulled the pin on a bomb’ after the president recognised Jerusalem as Israel’s capital
- US President Donald Trump sparked fury across the Middle East by recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital
- Palestinian protesters seen hurling rocks while Israeli troops fired teared gas to disperse crowds in Bethlehem
- Pro-Hezbollah newspaper al-Akhbar carried front page saying ‘Death to America’ along with a burning US flag
- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said America had ‘pulled the pin on a bomb ready to blow in the region’
- Hamas called for ‘days of rage’ and a new ‘intifada’ uprising after saying Trump had ‘opened the gates of hell’
- Israeli military are to deploy extra troops to the West Bank with mass Palestinian protests expected on Friday
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claims other states are now considering following America’s lead
Violent protests have broken out in the West Bank today after US President Donald Trump enraged the Middle East by recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Palestinians torched debris and hurled rocks towards Israeli troops who fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse a demonstration in Bethlehem.
Medics said 31 people have been injured by Israeli army gunfire during clashes in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip with rallies underway in the cities of Nablus, Jenin and Ramallah. In Hebron and Al-Bireh, thousands of demonstrators marched with chants of ‘Jerusalem is the capital of the State of Palestine’, witnesses said.
It comes after Trump sparked fury with his White House announcement yesterday, which changed decades of American policy and sparked warnings from Hamas of a new intifada, or uprising, against Israel.
Amid growing fears of fresh bloodshed in the region, the Islamist group said the President had ‘opened the gates of hell’ with his ‘flagrant aggression’ while a pro-Hezbollah newspaper in Lebanon has declared ‘Death to America’ on a front page showing a burning US flag.
This morning, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Trump of throwing the Middle East into a ‘ring of fire’ and compared him to a ‘blender’ stirring up trouble in the area. The Country’s Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the US ‘has pulled the pin on a bomb ready to blow in the region.’