Because, what people decide in Brussels is of far more importance than any Maija or Matti standing on a corner walking their dog.
Finnish President Sauli Niinistö said that last week’s knife attack in Turku may have disrupted the country’s sense of security, but he added that the country must follow international agreements concerning issues like asylum and immigration. Niinistö made the comments in Helsinki on Tuesday.
Four suspects remanded in custody over Turku knife attack, one man freed
Southwest Finland District court has remanded into pre-trial custody four men — including the main suspect — in connection with Friday’s knife rampage in Turku. The suspects all face charges of murder and attempted murder and were remanded on the grounds of “probable cause” and “reason to suspect”. Police freed one man on Tuesday, and is no longer a suspect in the case.
The main suspect in Friday’s knife attack in Turku has been remanded in pre-trial custody, on suspicion of two counts of murder and eight counts of attempted murder.
The suspect, 18-year-old Abderrahman Mechkah, spoke to the court from his hospital bed via a video link and interpreters. Olli Töyräs, the officer leading the investigation, said that the suspect admitted the stabbings but denied that they constituted murder.
Mechkah was shot in the hip and arrested on Friday after fleeing the scene of the stabbings, in which two people were killed and eight were injured.
Three of Mechkah’s associates were also remanded into custody on Tuesday on suspicion of the same two counts of murder with terrorist intent and eight counts of attempted murder with terrorist intent.
The main suspect and one other man were placed into pre-trial detention on the grounds of “probable cause”, while two others were remanded on the grounds of “reason to suspect” according to the National Bureau of Investigation, NBI.
One of the suspects has a criminal record, with a conviction for coercion into sexual acts last year.