Do take note that The Local decided not to headline the fact that the teen is a Muslim convert, choosing rather to bury it towards the middle of the article.
Danish teenager found guilty of planning to bomb schools
The guilty verdict was passed at Holbæk Court on Tuesday morning, reports newspaper Politiken.
The 17-year-old will now face sentencing for planning to commit acts of terrorism in Denmark.
Over 50 people were present in the courtroom as the verdict was read, including the girl’s mother, reports the newspaper. The girl is said to have remained emotionless during the proceeding.
“The entire jury and all judges have reached the same result,” presiding judge Peder Johs Christensen said.
The girl, who was 15 years old at the time of her arrest in January 2016 and has been remanded in custody for 16 months, planned to used explosives to attack two schools, concluded the court.
The 17-year-old, who was born and raised in Denmark, converted to Islam in 2015, some months before her initial arrest.
During the trial, at which she pleaded innocent, she was described as having undergone a drastic change in interests from boys and shopping to holy war in the space of just a few months.
She previously told the court that her interest in terror organisation Islamic State began because she found it “exciting.”
She is now considered a terrorist by the Danish legal system.
The girl will be sentenced for planning terror attacks against two schools – her own former school, Sydskolen in Fårevejle, western Zealand; and a Jewish school in Copenhagen.