Interesting that a small minority has such a large footprint in society….
- DailyMail: Iraqi ‘Islamist’ is arrested over Dortmund coach bombing after police find THREE letters claiming attack was carried out in the name of Islam as injured footballer recovers from surgery
Bus bomber’s rants over Syria: German police arrest Iraqi ‘with Islamist links’ after three explosions hit football coach
- Police arrested one ‘Islamist’ in connection with Tuesday’s attack during raids on Wednesday morning
- Another man ‘from the Islamist spectrum’ is still on the run after officers failed to find him at his property
- Investigators have found three letters claiming responsibility for the attack, all referencing radical Islam
- One letter began ‘Allah the most merciful’ and made demands for German aircraft to leave Syria
- Explosions hit Dortmund’s bus as it was leaving the team’s hotel, L’Arrivee, ahead of their clash with Monaco
German police have arrested a 25-year-old man with ‘Islamist links’ over a suspected terror attack on a top football team’s bus.
Borussia Dortmund’s coach was targeted with three homemade pipe bombs hidden in bushes as the team made their way to a match on Tuesday evening.
Police were investigating a possible Islamic extremist motive after three letters found close to the scene appeared to blame the attack on Germany’s involvement in the conflict in Syria.
The notes also threatened to target other ‘disbelieving actors, singers, athletes and all prominent figures in Germany’ and referenced the Berlin Christmas market attack which left 12 dead, local media reported.
The blasts smashed windows of the coach, and one player – Spaniard Marc Bartra, 26 – suffered cuts and a broken wrist after he was hit by glass and required an operation.
A policeman on a motorcycle escorting the team to the European match in the Champions League against French side AS Monaco suffered damage to his ears from the noise. Local media said the suspect was an Iraqi living in Wuppertal – 30 miles south of Dortmund.