We knew this was coming now didn’t we….?
BREAKING NEWS: ‘Islamist’ suspect is arrested over Borussia Dortmund coach bombing after police find THREE letters claiming attack was carried out in the name of Islam
- Police arrested one ‘Islamist’ in connection with last night’s attack during raids on Wednesday morning
- Another man ‘from the Islamist spectrum’ is still on the run after officers failed to find him at his property
- Investigators have found three letters claiming responsibility for the attack, all referencing radical Islam
- One letter began ‘Allah the most merciful’ and made demands for German aircraft to leave Syria
- Police have discounted a letter from hardcore left-wing group Antifa claiming responsibility as fake
- Explosions hit Dortmund’s bus as it was leaving the team’s hotel, L’Arrivee, ahead of their clash with Monaco
An ‘Islamist’ suspect has been arrested in connection with the pipe bomb attack on Borussia Dortmund’s team bus as authorities say they are treating it as a ‘terrorist attack’.
German police searched properties belonging to ‘two suspects from the Islamist spectrum’ on Wednesday and made one arrest, meaning another man is still on the loose.
Frauke Koehler, a spokeswoman for federal prosecutors, revealed the explosive devices used in the attack contained metal pins, one of which was found buried in a headrest on the vehicle.
Ms Koehler said it was lucky ‘that nothing worse happened’, adding that investigators are still working to determine how the devices were detonated and what substance was used.
Elsewhere police said three letters claiming responsibility for the attack have been found, all of them saying that it was carried out in the name of Islam.
Another letter claiming to be from the far-left group Antifa had been discounted as a fraud.
At least one of the notes made reference to the Berlin Christmas market attack, in which an ISIS fanatic drove a stolen truck into shoppers, killing 12.