Better to help them there than to cause sop much economic and societal dislocation here.
Trump insists Middle Eastern nations will pay for ‘safe zones’ for Syrian refugees
- President Trump said the Gulf States would pay for the safe zones
- He called the situation a ‘mess’ and wants to keep refugees out of the country
- President Obama has said safe zones are too large of a military commitment
- Turkish President Erdoğan has also proposed a ‘terror free zone’ for Syrians
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said he does not think the zones will work
At President Donald Trump’s campaign-style rally Saturday, he brought up his plan to create ‘safe zones’ in Syria in lieu of admitting more refugees.
He also said the Gulf States would pay for the safe zones since the US is in ‘$20 trillion’ of debt at the Melbourne rally.
These types of speeches usually focus on job creation and national security. Trump has brought up the plan before, but it isn’t something he usually touches on when speaking about his immigration restrictions.
About Syrian refugees, Trump said: ‘And we all have heart, by the way. And what I want to do is build safe zones in Syria and other places so they can stay there and live safely until their cities and their country, that mess that I was left by Obama and everybody else — folks, we were left a mess like you wouldn’t believe, but we’re going to build safe zones. We’re going to have those safe zones.