Like I said earlier, a bloodletting is in the making……lots of it.
It is terribly sad to see how the dispute over Mohammed’s inheritance almost 1400 years ago, is still an open wound in this part of the world. The struggle is horrifying, because it has no geographic or moral restraints and everything is quite predictable.There will be a bloodbath in Mosul, that is a certainty. The question is not whether or not there will be a massacre, but whether its victims will be counted in hundreds, thousand or tens of thousands. The number of victims is not yet known, but I have no doubts that we are facing a massacre.
The Shiite worm has turned
The Shiites are watching their dreams come true, as the Sunnis find themselves caught in a nightmare. This, dear readers, is the way of the Middle East.
Dr. Mordechai Kedar is a senior lecturer in the Department of Arabic at Bar-Ilan University. He served in IDF Military Intelligence for 25 years, specializing in Arab political discourse, Arab mass media, Islamic groups and the Syrian domestic arena. Thoroughly familiar with Arab media in real time, he is frequently interviewed on the various news programs in Israel.
The struggle for succession began in the year 632 CE, from the minute the Prophet Mohammed closed his eyes for eternity. His cousin Ali ibn Abi Talib, who became Mohammed’s son in law when he married the prophet’s daughter Fatimah, claimed that he deserved to inherit the leadership of Islam since Mohammed had promised it to him
His rivals pushed him to the sidelines, brushing off his story, so that it took 24 years of bitter struggles for Ali to be crowned the fourth Caliph and even then he had no time for resting on his laurels, because the governor of Damascus, Muawiyah ibn Abi Sufian, rebelled against him forthwith. In 661, six years after becoming Caliph, Ali was murdered and Muawiyah became the fifth Caliph. Ali’s sons continued to fight, but the new Caliph showed them no mercy: Hussein ibn Ali was beheaded in 680 and his head displayed in Damascus.
Muslims who supported Ali and his claims to the throne are known as Shiites, while those supporting his foes and who eliminated his heirs are the Sunnis.
This 1384-year-old struggle permeates the history, philosophic thought and political aspirations of the Nation of Mohammed. It is waged on different levels, from holy writings to the wording of prayers, from the system of laws all the way to people’s names, but its main arena is the battlefield, one on which millions of Muslims have met their deaths and where massacres have been perpetrated by both sides with depressing frequency.
The 1980-1988 war between Sunni Saddam Hussein’s Iraq and Shiite Khomeini’s Iran took the lives of over a million people, left millions more wounded and is still going on with full force in several arenas: Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon, Pakistan, Afghanistan and more. Saudi Arabia leads the Sunni struggle today, while Iran represents the Shiites.
About 85% of the world’s Muslims are Sunni, while the remaining 15% are Shiite. This normally gives the Sunnis an advantage, allowing for victory and control on their part, leaving the defeated Sunnis to hope and pray for the situation to change.The sad state of the Shiites led them to call themselves by the Quranic euphemism “Almustdaafin” – the downtrodden of the earth. They continued to hope and pray for the day they would find themselves on the top of the heap with the Sunnis trampled underneath them – and it looks as though their wishes have come true over the past few years, especially since the Iranian revolution led by Khomeini in 1979. The rebellion gave the Shiite clerics a wealthy, large and powerful country, a center from which they could export their revolution to the rest of the world.