A bigger tragedy just waiting to happen.
This story is much bigger than the tragedy that befell the woman who lost her child (and four others are still in the hospital) to the gas while fumigating her apartment. The real horror is that it successfully got by airport security and placed on board the plane! All that was needed to kill the passengers was but a little moisture.
Phosphine pesticide used to kill bedbugs causes Fort McMurray baby’s death
Clear, colourless gas would have accumulated in apartment over a number of days
CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2015 9:17 AM MT
Four children remain in separate Alberta hospitals, following the death of a baby, after all were exposed to an illegally-imported pesticide used by their mother to kill bedbugs in a Fort McMurray apartment.
- Pesticide blamed in 8-month-old’s death in Fort McMurray
- Five children in hospital after ‘unknown’ spill in Fort McMurray apartment
An eight-month-old girl died Monday after she was exposed tophosphine, a fumigant.
The insecticide was brought into Canada illegally from Pakistan to fight a bedbug infestation, said the children’s aunt, Shazia Yarkhan.
The parents took the children to hospital Sunday. Two boys, aged two and six years old, were taken to the Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton. Two others, aged four and seven, are in a Fort McMurrayhospital.
Zaid Suliaman, the president of the Pakistani Cultural Association in Fort McMurray, told CBC News the conditions of the two children in Fort McMurray are improving. He said the two children sent to Edmonton remain in critical condition.
The children’s mother was under observation in hospital on Monday, but has since been released.