No surprise there.
And to think that they let them all in on purpose.
‘Homegrown jihadists are France’s gravest threat’
Published: 03 Jun 2014 13:23 GMT+02:00
France on Tuesday increased its estimate of the number of its nationals embroiled in Syria’s civil war to more than 800 and warned that they pose an unprecedented security threat.
The warning, from Prime Minister Manuel Valls, followed the weekend arrest of Medhi Nemmouche, a French jihadist suspected of carrying out last week’s Brussels Jewish Museum killings after spending a year fighting in Syria.
Valls told BFMTV that the numbers of French citizens or residents who have taken part in the fighting in Syria or were planning to do so now exceeds 800, including some 30 who have died in the conflict.
“We have never before faced a challenge of this kind,” Valls said. “It is without any doubt the most serious threat we face.
“We have to ensure the surveillance of hundreds and hundreds of French or European individuals who are today fighting in Syria.”
Nemmouche was arrested in Marseille on Friday carrying weapons similar to those used in the Brussels attack and a camera containing a short film in which he appears to claim responsibility for the assassin-style shooting.