My heart goes out to these people, what a monstrous, terrible thing to happen to a loved one. I doubt I could stomach the nerve to try and watch his assault by these murderous Muslim jihadi scumbags if I was a relative.
Fiancée and estranged wife of soldier Lee Rigby flee murder trial in tears as jury is shown CCTV footage of moment ‘Muslim converts ran him down before almost decapitating him with meat cleaver and knives’
First day of trial: Family members and loved ones of murdered soldier Lee Rigby (left to right) Ian Rigby, his stepfather, fiancee Aimee West his sister Sara McClure and his mother Lyn Rigby arrive at the Old Bailey
- Michael Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Adebowale, 22, accused of killing Fusilier
- Lee Rigby, 25, was ‘mutilated and almost decapitated’, Old Bailey hears
- Pair allegedly hit him at 40mph, dragged him into road and murdered him
- ‘They wanted public to see consequences of their barbarous acts,’ jury told
- Drummer Rigby’s family, fiancée, and estranged wife all at the Old Bailey
- Suspects armed with ‘meat cleaver, knives and a revolver’, prosecution says
- There were gasps in court as jury was shown CCTV of attack on Lee Rigby
- Adebolajo ‘thanked police for shooting them and said: “I did it for my God”‘
- Suspects deny murdering Fusillier Rigby and attempted murder of policeman
By CHRIS GREENWOOD, REBECCA EVANS and MARTIN ROBINSON
PUBLISHED: 10:52 GMT, 29 November 2013 | UPDATED: 18:07 GMT, 29 November 2013
Lee Rigby’s fiancée, estranged wife and mother fled court in tears today after footage of the soldier being run down at 40mph and hacked to death was shown to the jury in his murder trial.
Fusilier Rigby was ‘mutilated, almost decapitated and murdered’ by Michael Adebowale, 22, and Michael Adebolajo, 28, who ambushed him outside military barracks in Woolwich, South East London, the Old Bailey heard today.
There were gasps in Court Two when video footage of the soldier being mown down by a car, dragged into the road and executed was shown.
Lee Rigby’s mother Lyn, fiancée Aimee West and his estranged wife Rebecca Rigby, the mother of his son, all left the courtroom sobbing.
Witnesses said Muslim convert Adebolajo held a British soldier by the hair and tried to hack off his head ‘like a butcher attacking a joint of meat’, the Old Bailey heard today.
In the dock: Michael Adebolajo, 28, left, and Michael Adebowale, 22, right, surrounded by prison officers as they stand accused of murdering the Fusilier as he walked back to Woolwich Barracks on May 22
Death: Lee Rigby was allegedly run down in the street and hacked to death in south-east London in May
The father-of-one, 25, almost had his head sliced off when his ‘motionless’ body was attacked in a ‘cowardly and callous’ execution, the prosecution has said.