Uncategorized

UNCONFIRMED: ISRAELI MILITARY JOINS KENYAN FORCES TO END JIHADIST SIEGE OF SHOPPING MALL…….

 

This is still unconfirmed.

“The Israelis have just entered and they are rescuing the hostages and the injured,” a Kenyan security source told AFP. The Israeli foreign ministry refused to confirm or deny its forces were involved.

battle to end deadly mall siege

Mr Ben Mulwa a Westgate siege survivor on September 22, 2013 shortly after he was rescued by Kenya security agents. At least 59 people have died so far after gunmen attacked a city shopping mall on September 21, 2013. PHOTO/ WILLIAM OERI

Kenyan troops backed by Israeli forces battled Sunday to end a siege in an upmarket shopping mall and free hostages held by Somali militants in an attack that has so far killed 59 people.

Sporadic gunfire could be heard as Kenyan security officials said they were attempting to kill or capture the remaining attackers and end the 26-hour-long bloodbath at the Westgate mall.

“The Israelis have just entered and they are rescuing the hostages and the injured,” a Kenyan security source told AFP. The Israeli foreign ministry refused to confirm or deny its forces were involved.

Somalia’s Al Qaeda-inspired Shebab rebels said the carnage at the part Israeli-owned complex was in retaliation for Kenya’s military intervention in Somalia, where African Union troops are battling the Islamists.

Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said 59 people were confirmed dead, while the Red Cross has estimated the number of injured at around 200.

Lenku said there were still between 10 to 15 gunmen in the shopping centre. “We believe there are some innocent people in the building, that is why the operation is delicate.”

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta had said in a televised address to the nation late Saturday that he had lost family members in the attack.

MORE HERE. H/T: Sanna Haikala-Reyes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *