Egypt still broiling with unrest and violence.
Six dead as thousands of Morsi supporters march in Egypt
At least 50 injured, and more than 20 were arrested; Egypt gov’t says curfew breakers would face legal consequences.
CAIRO – Thousands of supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi marched through Cairo and cities across Egypt on Friday to demand his reinstatement, in the movement’s biggest show of defiance since hundreds of protesters were killed two weeks ago.
Although most marches passed without major incident, a security source said there had been at least six deaths, and police fired teargas at protesters in Cairo’s Mohandiseen district.
The army-backed government, which has shot dead hundreds of supporters of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood since he was toppled by the military on July 3, had warned that forces posted at key intersections since morning would open fire if protests turned violent.
Having arrested most of the Brotherhood’s leaders, it hoped by now to have suffocated the protests against its decision to force out and crush the movement that ruled Egypt for a year.
But its prospects of presenting a return to normality looked to have been set back by live television pictures of teargas and burning tires in Cairo, as well as the sheer number of separate marches that the well-organized Brotherhood managed to stage.