CBS News: 18 Children Among At Least 26 Dead In Newtown, Conn. Elementary School Shooting
Gunman Opens Fire Inside Sandy Hook Elementary School Early Friday
NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – At least 26 people are dead, including 18 children, after a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Friday morning, CBS News reported.
Officials said the gunman is dead and two guns have been recovered. A law enforcement official said the suspect is a 20-year-old man with ties to the school.
A second suspect has been taken into police custody, CBS News reported.
At least three people were injured — two children and an adult. All three were taken to Danbury Hospital. Their conditions are not known.
Gov. Dan Malloy arrived in Newtown Friday afternoon. His office said several state agencies are working together to coordinate the state’s response.
President Barack Obama was also briefed about the shooting. Spokesman Jay Carney said the White House would “do everything we can to support state and local law enforcement.”
Gunfire erupted inside the school around 9:40 a.m. Parents said they received an automatic message that there had been a shooting incident in the district and that schools were being placed on lockdown.