Let the TT know if this is really the picture of the murderer. There may be more than one Mohammed Merah (a boxer?)
An outrage beyond words.
UPDATE: Reuters report that the suspect had been serving a three year sentence when he escaped from jail, quoting the director of Kandahar prison. According to Reuters news agency, the head of Kandahar prison in Afghanistan, says the suspect Mohammed Merah, escaped from the prison in a mass Taliban jailbreak.
Toulouse ‘serial killer’ WAS going to post footage of murders online… but police swooped on house of ‘Islamic warrior’ before he had the chance
- Siege continues outside house as more than 300 officers are on high alert
- Self-confessed terrorist thought to have killed seven people in two weeks
- Mohammed Mera, 24, is ‘armed and dangerous’ and likely to kill again
- Has Uzi machine gun, Kalashnikov assault rifle and other weapons
- Three tactical police officers wounded as they tried to arrest suspect
- Second man believed to be his brother arrested nearby
- Gunman’s mother at the siege trying to persuade him to give himself up
By PETER ALLEN
PUBLISHED: 08:27 GMT, 21 March 2012 | UPDATED: 10:23 GMT, 21 March 2012
A self-confessed Al Qaeda terrorist thought to have murdered seven people across south west France over the past two weeks was going to post footage of his crimes online today, he claimed.
Mohammed Mera, 24, told news channel France 24’s editor Ebba Kalondo at 1am this morning he had ‘filmed everything’ with a small video camera and ‘intended to put the videos online’.
But just two hours later more than 300 armed police dramatically raided his Toulouse home – where three officers were injured – and he is now cornered and under siege.
He has been described as ‘armed and dangerous’ with a cache including an Uzi machine gun and Kalashnikov assault rifle, with police saying he is likely to kill again.
- 1215: BBC’s Hugh Schofield in Paris: Mohammed Merah appeared in court two weeks ago for driving without a licence. His lawyer, Christian Etelin, says Merah’s outward behaviour is “gentle, courteous and civilised”.
- EuroGirl tweets: French police say call to France 24 by man claiming to be Mohammed Merah is “credible”.
- 1211: A source close to the investigation has said police have re-established contact with Mr Merah, under siege in his apartment, according to AFP news agency. Contact was broken off for several hours.
- 1156: People from apartments neighbouring the suspect’s have now been evacuated, AFP news agency says.
- 1144: David Loyn BBC News, Kabulhas more on the Kandahar connection with French suspect: the director of Kandahar prison Gulam Farooq has told the BBC that Mohammed Merah escaped from the jail in 2008. He had been sentenced to three years in prison after being arrested carrying bomb-making equipment. He was among several hundred prisoners who
James Stocks, in Toulouse writes: We are inundated with military, police, journalists, helicopters and countless extra security checks. Toulouse is going crazy!
1110: Reuters report that the suspect had been serving a three year sentence when he escaped from jail, quoting the director of Kandahar prison.
1105: According to Reuters news agency, the head of Kandahar prison in Afghanistan, says the suspect Mohammed Merah, escaped from the prison in a mass Taliban jailbreak.
1102: A man who claimed to have carried out the shootings telephoned France’s continuous news channel France24 before the police raid. According to one of the channel’s editors, he claimed to have filmed Monday’s attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse and planned to put the film on the web. You can see an interview with the France24 editor, in French, on YouTube.